St James the Less church has been serving its community since the 14th century and continues today to be a place that welcomes all who come in faith, looking for peace and fellowship. Its rich history provides much to satisfy those with a interest in history especially related to the Poyntz family and Acton Court.
St James the Less is part of the Fromeside Churches Benefice which comprises All Saints, Winterbourne Down; St James the Less, Iron Acton; St Michael's, Winterbourne and St Peter's in Frampton Cotterell. Malcolm Strange is our Priest in Charge.
Typical month of services at St James the Less currently follow this pattern:
- Each Sunday (except 2nd Sunday) - 9.15am Holy Communion
- 2nd Sunday of the month* - 9.30am Family Service(Non-Eucharist)
- 5th Sunday of the month - 10.00am Partnership Service - venue varies
- Each Wednesday of month - 10.30am Holy Communion in the Marshall Rooms or church
* Family Services are sometimes rescheduled to fit in with key services such as Mothering Sunday, Harvest Festival etc. Please check the Events section for details.
Rev. Malcolm Strange
Orchard House, 70 High Street, Winterbourne, Bristol, BS36 1JQ.
Tel: 01454 775529
Booking a Special Occasion at St James the Less?
As part of the Benefice some of the administration is centralised, so if you wish to organise a special service in the church you will now need to contact the benefice administrator:
Kathryn Nichols, Administrator for Fromeside Churches.
St Michael’s Rooms, Lower Office, 95 High Street, Winterbourne, Bristol BS36 1RD. Tel: 01454 776518;
Office Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Friday 9.00am - 12.00 pm
For all general enquiries about the church please contact the church warden who will be happy to help.
- Carol Groom - 01454 228712
- Di Heal - 01454 228498
Booking a party or a meeting then why not use the Marshall Rooms?
The Marshall Rooms provides a meeting hall available for hire.
- Available daily from 8am to 11pm
- Bookings from £20
- Suitable for meetings, social gatherings, community events, parties and clubs
- Space for 25 people, main hall measures 19' x 23'
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Nearby parking and easy access for mobility impaired
- Enquiries / bookings - Please call Sally Aries (01454 228037)